In the swiftly evolving realm of web development, Progressive Web Apps (PWAs) have become a transformative force, seamlessly combining the strengths of both web and mobile applications. PWAs have asserted dominance in the landscape of mobile and progressive web apps development.
The PWA market is anticipated to witness substantial growth, projecting an increase from USD 1100 million in 2019 to USD 7600 million by 2026, with a Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 34%.
Suppose you create a PWA similar to Twitter, Starbucks, or Spotify and grapple with selecting the proper framework. In that case, you have landed on the appropriate guide.
Trending PWA Frameworks for Progressive Web App Development
PWA Frameworks#1 – React
React JS, developed by Facebook in 2013, significantly influences Progressive Web App development. This robust PWA framework has component-based architecture and supports tools like Create React App and Next.js. So, it empowers developers to build high-performing PWAs.
Thanks to the vast ecosystem and reusable elements, it’s a reliable choice for building feature-rich single-page apps (SPA) and multi-page apps with high speed.
- PWAs built with the React framework demonstrate increased flexibility and scalability as additional packages are integrated.
- The rendering time has significantly reduced, thanks to the implementation of the Virtual DOM.
- A single codebase can serve both web and native applications.
- The functionality issues of the React PWA solution will escalate as you strive for greater customization.
- Complicated implementation procedure
Companies Using React PWA Framework:
PWA Frameworks#2 – Vue.JS
Vue.js is gaining significant traction as a trending framework and tool for building Progressive Web Apps (PWA). Renowned for its simplicity and flexibility, Vue boasts an ecosystem with tools like Vue CLI, Vue Router, and Vuex, streamlining the PWA development process. With its reactive components and a thriving community, Vue.js stands out as a premier choice for effortlessly and efficiently building PWAs.
Vue.js is designed to be progressively adaptable, seamlessly transitioning between a library and a framework based on user requirements. It features a user-friendly core library focusing on display, complemented by an ecosystem that aids in managing the intricacies of web applications.
Several of Vue’s functionalities, such as efficient rendering of both the actual DOM and virtual DOM for lightweight operations, are comparable to React’s capabilities. The key distinction lies in Vue’s emphasis on enhancing existing technologies like CSS and HTML.
- It can handle complex and dynamic applications.
- Vue JS, like React, can scale up the project by leveraging extra packages.
- The developer community acclaims its clear and extensive documentation.
- Rapid product delivery develops MVPs and smaller applications.
- Lack of experienced Vue developers
- Smaller Community
Companies Using VueJS PWA Framework:
PWA Frameworks#3 – AngularJS
Beyond its compatibility with projects developed in alternative frameworks, Angular boasts a highly modular design. Moreover, it enhances the development process by alleviating the burden of monotonous and repetitive tasks.
- Rapidly expand to accommodate extensive applications.
- An impressive array of extensions from its vast and supportive community
- Facilitate collaborative code sharing and teamwork among multiple individuals.
- Enhance code modularity and productivity by incorporating dependencies.
- Fully interchangeable components.
- Complicated for Beginners
- Heavier Load
Companies Using AngularJS PWA Framework:
- Microsoft Office
PWA Frameworks#4 – Svelte
- Svelte operates without the necessity for declarative, state-driven programming that requires conversion into DOM activities by the browser. It implies no longer a requirement to employ the virtual DOM.
- Smaller Community and Ecosystem
- Limited Tooling
Companies Using Svelte PWA Framework:
- Rakuten 24
PWA Frameworks#5 – Ionic
The Ionic PWA Framework, an open-source UI toolkit, empowers the creation of native-looking mobile applications that seamlessly operate on iOS, Android, and various platforms.
Standard features of Ionic encompass cards, buttons, toggles, segments, modals, inputs, lists, a row/column grid, and more. These components intuitively adapt their design for iOS and Android, with the flexibility for customization as needed.
Ionic, with its integration of Ionic Native/Cordova, offers an extensive range of plugins facilitating interaction with the hardware of mobile devices. It’s crucial to ensure compatibility between chosen plugins and the targeted platforms.
Even when implementing widely supported features like native Facebook login or Firebase Analytics, there’s always the potential for build errors or conflicts.
- Excellent for creating hybrid websites
- Numerous energetic users
- Extensive collection of code-free plugins for obtaining APIs
- Because it is free and open source, it reduces the price of creating new software.
- Having a more manageable learning curve
- Simple maintenance with the use of the browser’s native instruments and debugging tools
- Performance limitations
- Complexity in advanced features
Companies Using Ionic PWA Framework:
- Southwest Airlines
- H&R Block
- National Health Service
PWA Frameworks#6 – Magento PWA Studio
Magento PWA Studio is a progressive web app tool integrated into the Magento eCommerce platform. It provides several tools for creating user interfaces, managing data, testing applications or software. This framework handles all aspects necessary to create, deploy, and maintain a Progressive Web App (PWA).
When accessed from a desktop, Magento PWA resembles a standard Magento website with significantly faster loading times. Users on mobile devices can conveniently add the site to their home screen, establishing a shortcut for quick access.
The PWA offers enhanced speed and delivers an app-like appearance and feel, elevating the overall user experience. Customers can receive timely and enticing information directly from Magento stores, such as discounts or new collections.
Using Magento’s eCommerce infrastructure, PWA Studio streamlines the development process, saving time and effort. Additionally, PWA Studio provides comprehensive tools to mange & update your PWA, ensuring its smooth and up-to-date functionality.
- Harness Magento’s existing infrastructure to streamline tasks and save time.
- Access a complete set of tools for effectively overseeing your PWA.
- Maintain simplicity in keeping your app current and up to date.
- Compatibility Issues
- Resource-intensive in terms of development time and costs
- Community Adoption
Companies Using Magento PWA Studio Framework:
PWA Frameworks#7 – Scandi PWA
Scandi PWA is an open-source PWA framework built upon the Magento PWA Studio, offering the capability to develop Progressive Web Apps seamlessly integrated with the Magento eCommerce platform.
With Scandi PWA, you gain access to a comprehensive suite of PWA creation, deployment, and management tools. It encompasses features for designing user interfaces, handling data, and conducting application testing, providing a holistic solution for PWA development on the Magento platform.
- Save time and effort by using Magento’s existing infrastructure
- Complete set of tools for PWA management
- Easy to keep your app up-to-date
- Magento Version Compatibility
- Extension Compatibility
PWA Frameworks#8 – Polymer
By utilizing the Polymer PWA framework, the creation of intricate web applications becomes more accessible and efficient. It achieves this by facilitating the development of reusable, tailored components while also allowing developers to harness elements provided by others.
Instead of repetitively designing a navigation bar or button for various frameworks and projects, Polymer enables the definition of these elements once, making them easily reusable across current and future projects.
- Comprehensive support for the entire web app stack, encompassing routing, data tier, and responsive layouts.
- Robust, easy-to-follow documentation
- Clear and easily understandable APIs.
- It comes with an extensive collection of base components compatible across various browsers.
- Does not have an official Integrated Development Environment (IDE)
- It takes a high reloading time
Companies Using Polymer PWA Framework:
PWA Frameworks#9 – Web pack Model Bundler
Throughout the application’s processing, web pack constructs an internal dependency tree that maps every module necessary for your project, ultimately generating one or more output bundles.
Web pack inherently supports ES2015+, Common JS, and AMD modules. It performs intelligent static analysis on your code’s Abstract Syntax Tree (AST). Web pack enables the division of your codebase into discrete sections, and chunks significantly reduce initial loading times during runtime.
- It condenses the code.
- Complicated approach with a learning curve
Companies Using Web pack Model Bundler PWA Framework:
PWA Frameworks#10 – Lighthouse PWA Analytics
Lighthouse, an open-source tool created by Google, performs automatic audits on web applications and Progressive Web Apps (PWAs) accessible through Chrome Dev Tools.
Developed by Google engineers to address the performance gaps observed in leading websites, Lighthouse assesses performance, accessibility, and SEO. This tool accurately evaluates various aspects, including performance metrics, accessibility standards, progressive enhancements, and search engine optimization levels. Its significance is paramount for both app developers and support teams.
Lighthouse PWA framework provides assessment scores, ranging from 0 to 100, for each parameter, accompanied by a list of audits indicating whether they passed or failed. In addition to automated evaluations, the tool supports manual inspections, enhancing its utility for comprehensive web app analysis.
- Simple to set up and use
- It helps us enhance web page performance, SEO, and accessibility.
- Some prior knowledge is required.
- Not used for all types of sites
The Final Thought!
In 2023, React.js developers will have diverse potent frameworks and tools for constructing progressive web apps (PWAs). Whether opting for React, Angular, Vue.js, Ionic, or specialized tools like PWA Studio or Workbox, each framework and tool offers distinct advantages and features. The selection can be based on developers’ preferences, project needs, and familiarity with the respective ecosystem.
This list of trending PWA tools and frameworks empowers developers to craft top-notch PWAs with experiences akin to native applications, offline functionality, push notifications, and optimal performance across various platforms and devices. React, Angular, and Vue.js are popular thanks to their robust ecosystems, extensive community support, and user-friendly interfaces.
If you want to select the proper PWA framework, contacting a reliable progressive web app development company like VLink is essential. They develop innovative web apps that render a 100% immersive experience and function like desktop or mobile app. Through progressive web app development, they assist you in expanding your business globally, aligning with the preferences of how people want to engage with your enterprise.
Also Read :-