Pursuing higher education abroad is a dream for many ambitious Indian students. However, the financial aspect that comes along often poses a significant challenge. To ease this burden and empower deserving candidates, the Indian Government has established the National Overseas Scholarship Scheme. This initiative aims to provide financial assistance to meritorious students, enabling them to pursue their academic aspirations on an international platform.
If you are curious to find out more about this scheme, then you are at the right time and in the right place. Keep reading this article to learn everything about this scheme and get tips on how to get a scholarship to study abroad for Indian students.
An Overview of the National Overseas Scholarship Scheme
The National Overseas Scholarship Scheme (NOS) is a prestigious program administered by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Government of India. Launched with the noble intention of promoting higher education among the economically weaker sections of society, NOS provides financial aid to eligible candidates for pursuing master’s or doctoral programs in foreign universities.
Furthermore, let’s check the eligibility criteria for this scholarship in the next section.
Eligible Criteria for Scholarship Application
To be considered for the National Overseas Scholarship scheme by the Indian government applicants must fulfill certain eligibility criteria set forth by the government. These criteria include the following.
- Indian Citizenship: Applicants must be Indian citizens and should belong to any of the following caste categories. The Scheduled Caste or Denotified Nomadic and Semi-Nomadic Tribes or Landless Agricultural Labourers or Traditional Artisans category.
- Educational Qualifications: Candidates must possess a minimum of 60% marks or equivalent grade in the relevant bachelor’s or master’s degree from a recognized Indian University or Institution.
- Age Limit: The age of the applicant should not exceed 35 years for these reserved category candidates.
- Income Criteria: Applicants’ annual family income should not exceed INR 6 lakhs.
- Admission: A confirmed admission offer from a recognized foreign university for a full-time course in the fields of engineering, management, pure sciences, applied sciences, agricultural sciences, social sciences, humanities, medicine, and healthcare.
Now that you know what the requirement of this scholarship is, let us give you some of the effective tips that will help you stand out with your application.
Valuable Tips to Improve the Chances of Getting the Scholarship
Securing the National Overseas Scholarship is a competitive endeavor, but with strategic planning and additional efforts, aspiring candidates can enhance their chances of success. Here are some valuable tips to consider while applying.
- Research Thoroughly: Gain a comprehensive understanding of the scholarship requirements, application process, and selection criteria. Visit the official website of the National Overseas Scholarship Scheme to access detailed information and guidelines.
- Academic Excellence: Maintain a stellar academic record throughout your educational journey. Focus on achieving high grades and excelling in standardized tests like GRE, GMAT, TOEFL, or IELTS, depending on the requirements of your chosen foreign university.
- Construct a Convincing Statement of Purpose (SOP): The SOP is a crucial component of your application. Articulate your academic and professional goals, highlight your achievements, and explain how studying abroad aligns with your aspirations. Shape your SOP to reflect your passion, determination, and suitability for the scholarship.
- Seek Strong Letters of Recommendation: Obtain recommendation letters from reputable individuals who can attest to your academic ability, character, and potential for success. Choose referees who can provide insightful insights into your qualifications and aptitude for pursuing higher education abroad.
- Demonstrate Financial Need: Emphasize your financial constraints and the significance of the scholarship in enabling you to pursue your academic aspirations.
- Engage in Extracurricular Activities: Participate actively in extracurricular activities, community service, research projects, internships, or relevant professional experiences. Showcase your leadership skills, initiative, and commitment to personal and professional development.
- Prepare a Well-Crafted Resume/CV: Create a compelling resume highlighting your academic achievements, extracurricular involvement, work experience, publications, awards, and relevant skills. Ensure that your resume is concise, organized, and made to the requirements of the scholarship application.
- Proofread and Revise Application: Pay meticulous attention to detail when preparing your application materials, including essays, transcripts, certificates, and supporting documents. Proofread thoroughly to eliminate grammatical errors, typos, and inconsistencies.
Lastly, stay optimistic, and confident and press the submit button!
Summing up, this is everything that you should know about this popular Indian government scholarship. The National Overseas Scholarship Scheme offers a remarkable opportunity for deserving students to pursue higher education abroad. By adhering to the aforementioned tips and diligently preparing your application, you can significantly enhance your chances of securing this prestigious scholarship award.
With determination and thorough preparation, you can experience personal growth through the National Overseas Scholarship Scheme. However, if you don’t get this scholarship, then you can also explore the option of education loan for students to study abroad as your funding source.
Know more about abroad education loan schemes.